Studying abroad means living and studying in an unfamiliar environment, so our English is also a communication tool, don’t just take it as a requirement for an exam. After going abroad, we use English in many places, so how should English be expressed under different circumstances? Here are some commonly used spoken English when studying abroad.
1. I want to book a ticket to New York. I want to book a seat to New York.
2. I want a round-trip ticket. I want a round trip ticket.
3. I want to cancel my scheduled flight to London. I’d like to cancel my reservation to London.
4. I just missed my flight and need to re-determine the flight time. I just missed my flight, I need to reschedule it.
5. Are there seats still available? Are there seats still available?
6. Do I have to write down all the things I have to declare?
7. I have a piece of luggage to check in. I have a piece of baggage to check.
8. I want a window seat. I’d like a window seat.
9. Which boarding gate should I go to? Which boarding gate should I go to?
10. Do you mind exchanging seat with me? Do you mind exchanging seat with me?
11. I feel sick. I feel sick.
12. Can I use the toilet now? Can I use the toilet now?
13. Can you bring me a blanket? Could I have a blanket?
14. Excuse me, where can I get my luggage? Excuse me, where can I get my luggage?
15. I can’t find my luggage. I can’t find my baggage.
16. Please send my luggage to the hotel as soon as you find it. Please deliver the baggage to my hotel as soon as you have located it.
17. Can I use this baggage cart? Can I use this baggage cart?
18. My luggage seems to be damaged. My luggage seems to be damaged.
19. You are responsible for my luggage. You need to take responsibility for my luggage.
20. To this place, am I on the right bus for this location? Am I on the right bus for this location?
21. Please call me when you arrive? Could you tell me where to get off?
22. How many more stops before we get there?
23. Is there any subway nearby? Is there any subway nearby?
24. Take me to the airport. Take me to the airport.
25. Could you help me put the luggage in the trunk?
26. Please come to this address. Take me to this address please.
27. Can you speed up a bit more?
28. I want to get off here. I’ll get off here.
29. Can you tell me how to go through customs?
30. I have filled out all the customs clearance forms. I filled out all the customs forms.
31. This is my customs declaration. I have my declaration form here.
32. I have nothing to declare. I have nothing to declare.
33. Can I bring this into this country? Can I bring this into this country?
34. I want to reserve a single room. I’d like to book a single room with private bath.
35. Are there any vacant rooms? Do you have any vacant rooms?
36. I want to check in. I’d like to check in, please.
37. Can you introduce the room’s facilities to me?
38. Please wake me up at 7 o’clock. I’d like a wakeup call at 7 o’clock.
39. Could you tidy up the bathroom, please?
40. We would like to order breakfast for tomorrow. We’d like to order breakfast for tomorrow.
41. I want to make international calls to China. I’d like to make an overseas call to china.
42. Do you offer laundry service? Do you offer laundry service?
43. Where is the restaurant? Where is the dining room?
44. Can I keep my valuables here? Can you keep my valuables?
45. Can I have another room key? Could I possibly have another room key?
46. I forgot the key in the room. I locked myself out.
47. I can’t watch the TV in my room. The TV doesn’t work in my room.
48. Can I settle my bill now? Can I settle my bill now?
49. Can you give me an item of my bill?
50. Can you pay by credit card here? Do you take credit card?
51. Can you speak slower? Can you slow down, please?
52. I can’t speak English well. I can’t speak English very well.
53. What did you say? What did you say?
54. I don’t know how to say this in English. I don’t know how to say it in English.
55. May I ask you to say it again? I beg your pardon?
56. Can you help me? I’m lost. Can you help me? I’m lost.
57. Where does this road lead?
58. Please indicate my location on the map. Please point out where I am on the map.
59. I feel uncomfortable. I don’t feel well.
60. I feel cold and tremble. I’m cold and shivery.
61. I feel like vomiting and diarrhea. I feel like vomiting and having diarrhea.
62. The medicine I take doesn’t work. The medicine I took isn’t helping.
63. Can you tell me how to take this medicine? Could you tell me how to take this medicine?
64. I sprained my ankle. My ankle is twisted.
65. I lost my passport. My passport is missing.
66. I can’t find it anywhere. I can’t find it anywhere.
67. My bag was stolen. I had my bag stolen.
68. Help! (It can be used in any emergency.) Help!
69. Is there a public rest room here? Is there a public rest room here?
70. Where is the ladies wear? Where is ladies wear?
71. Where can I find children’s clothes?
72. Is there a lift here, please?
73. I just have a look. I’m just looking around.
74. Excuse me, I want to buy a tie. Excuse me, I’d like a tie.
75. How much is it? How much is it?
76. Do you have any more of these goods?
77. Does this one have a larger size? Do you have this on larger size?
78. Is there anything cheaper? Do you have anything less expensive?
79. I want to try this one. I want to try this on.
81. I have to look at other houses again. I’ll have to keep looking for what I want.
81. Too small for me. That’s too small for me.
82. I bought it. I’ll take it.
83. How much is it all together? How much is it all together?
84. I have no change. I don’t have small change.
85. I want to change RMB into US dollars. I’d like to exchange RMB for US dollars.
86. I want to exchange 1050 RMB for Euro. I’d like to exchange 1050 RMB for Euros.
87. Could you give me some change? Can I please have some change?
88. Please give me the menu. Could I have a menu, please?
89. Is there any dish you recommend? What do you recommend?
90. I want the same as that. Can I have the same as that?
91. I want this and this. I’ll take this and this.
92. Do you have any local specialties? Do you have any local specialties?
93. Bake a little bit. Well-done, please.
94. Enough/I need these. That’s all for me.
95. The food I ordered is not served yet. My order hasn’t come yet.
96. Please check out. Bill, please.
97. Where should I pay?
98. Can we go inside? Can we go in?
99. Can I take a picture here? May I take a picture here?
100. Can you take a picture for us? Would you take a picture for us?
Studying abroad at the beginning is like traveling abroad