No. 5 The Nissin Building
Built in 1925, it was used to house the Japanese shipping firm, Nishin Navigation Company. Now, it is used by Huaxia Bank and Jindu Industry. It was a mixture of modern architecture with classical architectural style of latter-day Japan and thus it was regarded as ‘Japan-Judah-style’. The six-storied building covers an area of 1280 square meters. The decoration of the bottom three floors are relatively simple while the upper three have classical columns and carved flowers which show a strong third-dimension.
No. 6 China Merchants Bank Building
China Merchants Bank Building, or Commercial Bank of China Building, acknowledged as one of the oldest buildings on the Bund, is generally documented as being built in 1897 as premises for either the Imperial Bank of China or the Commercial Bank of China. The building itself was completed many years earlier than is generally realized as the new premises for Russell & Co., one of the most illustrious American companies to operate in China in the 19th century. It is the location of the International Enterprise Co., Ltd. Hong Kong Parkview now. It is a false four-story Gothic-style building. There are five fastigiated layers in the fourth floor while small steeples can be found on both the third and fourth floor. The windows in the first and second floor are typical Gothic style flower lattice. Today, the upper three floors are devoted to fine cuisine and high living.
No. 7 The Great Northern Telegraph Company Building
Eventually opened in January 1908, it housed the offices of the British owned Eastern Extension and the American owned Commercial Cable telegraph companies. Originally there were three entrances leading to the respective company offices. The Great Northern Telegraphy Company, a Danish concern, had laid a line to Beijing in the early 1880s and had completed the one to Nagasaki before the new offices opened. The building, in Renaissance style, designed by Atkinson & Dallas, housed some state-of-the art equipment, including a pneumatic tube system to handle the telegrams and a lift made by Smith & Stevens of London. Public telephones were found in abundance in the ground floor hall. The Great Northern Telegraphy Company occupied the first floor, and most of the frontage was given over to a series of fine suites for its manager, engineer and accountant. The Commercial Bank of China has moved its business into it. The Bangkok Bank took over part of the premises in 1995 and, as in days gone by when numerous consulates occupied the Bund’s buildings, the Royal Thai Consulate-General also took up residence.
Resources from TravelChinaGuide.com
Want to learn more about the Shanghai architecture? Come visit us.
21F, 319 Changde Road (corner of West Beijing Road)
Closest metro: Line 2/7 Jing’an Temple, Exit 3/10, A 5 min walk away
Learn Chinese in Shanghai. Learn Chinese at Miracle Mandarin