Nanjing Fuzimiao (Chinese: 南京夫子庙) is located in southern Nanjing City on banks of the Qinhuai River. Within the area are cultural attractions, arts, shopping, and entertainment.
In the 3rd year of Xiankang reign of Jin Dynasty (CE 317), Nanking Imperial University was founded on the southern bank of Qinhuai River. Temple of Confucius was firstly constructed in the national school in 384. The place was destroyed In 1034 during the Song Dynasty, Confucius Temple was newly constructed on the former site of the Imperial University, and was called Fuzimiao area along with Nanking Fuxue. The place became Imperial University again in 1365 in the early year of Ming Dynasty, and 16 years later recovered to be the campus of Fuxue. During Qing Dynasty, there were two Xianxue (county schools of Shangyuan and Jiangning) in Fuzimiao area. The current buildings date from the 19th century, in Qing Dynasty, with additions made since then. The temple lost all financial support by the state as a result of the revolution of 1911. During the late 1920s to 1931 and again in 1932 it was used as army barracks for troops the KMT regime and left in a dilapidated state. Some halls were used as picture galleries. In 1985 Fuzimiao area was restored.
Throughout its history, the temple along with the surrounding area has been a place for study of Confucianism. There is a small exhibit of folkart within the temple.
Fuzimiao is a very famous place in Nanjing.
Fūzǐmiào shì nánjīng yígè hěn zhùmíng de dìfāng
There are always lots of tourists during Chinese festivals
Zhōngguó jiérì qījiān nàlǐ zǒngshì huì yǒu hěnduō de yóukè
The snacks there are very wonderful.
Nàlǐ de xiǎochī tài bàng le
Want more info? Do not hesitate to contact us!
Address: 21F, 319 Changde Road (corner of West Beijing Road)
Closest metro: Line 2/7 Jing’an Temple, Exit 3/10,
A 5 minute walk away
Learn Mandarin / Chinese
Learn Chinese in Shanghai / at Miracle Mandarin